Thursday, February 14, 2008

City Life

There is a big difference between living in the village and the city. I did not know until my mother and I went to Accra to spend some days there. My mother and I were too excited when we were informed about the visit. It has been my mother dream to see Accra one day because of its beauty that most people have been talking about. While we were on the bus from the Camp to Accra, my mother and I continued to ask questions about Accra. To our greatest surprise, our bus stopped to the first red light. As for me, I am aware of the light and its function because I have traveled to Accra on several occasions. I did not hot tell my mother what red light really means. Why our bus has to stop to the red light including other buses, said my mother? Ma Martha said, when the light appears red, it indicates that all cars should wait for other cars on the other side of the road to pass. The only way the bus will go through is when the light appears green. When the light appeared green, the buses continued the journey. We were very tired and hungry when we got to Ma Martha's house in Accra. After a five minute rest at Ma Martha's residence in Accra, Ma Martha asked one of her children to locate the bathroom door to my mother to have a bath. Ma Martha did not tell my mother that it was shower in the bathroom not bath bucket that we can use on the Camp. When my mother entered the bathroom, she kept looking around in the bathroom; she kept looking around in the bathroom for five minutes without seeing a bucket with water in it. She only saw soap and a towel in the bathroom. While my mother was in the bathroom, I was listening to her attentatively whether she was bathing. To my surprise, I noticed finally that she was not taking bath because she did not know shower and how to use it. I quickly rushed there and there was nothing I could do because I did not know shower too. Please call Ma Martha to come and educate us on what to do to take bath. Please do not tell her in the presence of her children so as to avoid us being considered as uncivilized people, said my mother. I quickly called Ma Martha and explained to her what is going on. She quickly pressed one of the buttons on the wall and the water began to drop from up. We all were surprise!! After bathing, she asked all of us to go to the market and to buy food to cook and also to view the market too. While going to the market, we got to the main street. Everybody was waiting for the traffic to be free before crossing. My mother and I faced another big obstacle. My mother was too afraid of the cars in traffic. When the traffic is a bit free, Ma Martha will ask as to cross but my mother insisted on several occasions. She said that we should find a red light to stand near it. Ma Martha suggested that we all should hold hands and cross at once. I really reasoned with her because this could be the possible way for us to cross. We all crossed and went in the market and returned home the same way. My mother and I had story to tell people in our community when we returned on the Camp. My mother always talks about what she experienced during our visit. It was a wonderful visit and experience.

1 comment:

Flash said...

Hi Maibel,
It was great to read your story of going to Accra. Having new experiences is so important and makes for a full and happy life! I hope you continue to have more and more new experiences :-)