Monday, February 4, 2008

Sport

FEMALE SOCCER

Among Liberians, most people know kicking balling to be the sport played by most Liberian girls. This kickball sport has not gained any international recognition. Moreover, this sport is practiced only among Liberian females. I was astonished when I saw a group of Ghanaian girls who play soccer. Those girls have the same skills and stimuli the boys or men have. I feel too impressed and excited whenever I see those female soccer players. I always have at heart that one day I will play soccer if I have the opportunity. Last year, a group of females who have been playing soccer with some Ghanaian girls came on the refugee camp to settle there. They are about five. I will not mention their names to avoid conflict. They are very strong and have men appearance. If you see them for the first time, you will consider them to be females. They look like men really!!! Those girls made sure that they take exercise every morning on the community football field. Sometimes they ran around the football field ten times. After staying a while with us on the camp, they started encouraging others girls to join them to form a football team. They really tried their best and won a meaningful number of girls. The female soccer team began famous and strong due to its performance. Majority of my friends like Tina, Agnes, and Delphine joined and started training. One like me, I declined from the team because I could not cope with the training and the requirements. Moreover, my mother was totally against the idea of girls playing football. My mother advised me several times to desist from such practice. The female soccer team became more famous and strong in the community when they defeated their counterparts from Tema, another community in Accra. I can remember that game was played on a Saturday evening and it ended three goals to one in favor of our team. I used to like that sport but criticism and mockery from people in the community caused me to back off.

No comments: