Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Internet

More people thought that computer literates knew how to use the internet but I was surprise when I got confused for the first time when I attempted to use the internet. I got impressed and attracted by the way more young girls like me on the refugee camp nevigate through the internet. Some of them type their letter without looking at the keyboard. I thought they were magicians. One day I asked Sammie, a Ghanaian who uses the internet most of the time to teach me the internet. I am too busy to teach you but I will introduce you to one of the cafe attendants so that she can help you, said Sammie. The next day, Sammie and I went to the internet cafe and he introduced me to her. After explaining our purpose of going there, the cafe attendant, Madam Alice, told me that she does not have problem with teaching me but I have to buy some hours because she does have free time at the cafe. I told her that I will come back the next day. I consulted my mother about it. There is no money now my daughter, said my mother. All efforts failed in gathering money to buy time. I therefore suggested to my mother that I will use two days to do some domestic works for madam Alice, the cafe attendant. I went back to madam Alice and told her that I will do some works for her for two days. Some of these works include: washing clothes and cooking for her house for few days. She agreed and bought me some hours at the internet cafe. I was taught for one week. After this period, I was able to send email to friends, chat and search for information. Madam Alice did not teach me everything concerning the internet. For example, the idea of uploading pictures to the computer was very strange until a friend of mine called Agnes. Anyway, Madam Alice did extremely well for me because she laid the foundation and I am improving upon it. I really thank Madam Alice for teaching me. Now, I can boost of what I know about the internet.

No comments: