Sunday, February 17, 2008

RECESS PERIOD

I used to like one moment when I was in school. Recess was the enjoyable moment I used to like. When I was in School, every school's day in our school has fifteen minutes as recess period. My friends-Tina, Agnes and Delphine and myself chose one food center where the Ghanaian's food called banku is being prepared. As for me, I like that food center for one reason. The banku is sold there cheap and the place is convenient. Tina told me that she likes the place too (food center) because more students from our school do not go there to eat. Most of the students do not like the food. Some students even stand in public and declare that the banku is a sub standard type of food which is eaten most by poor students. It was against this background that Tina suggested that we should not eat this food in the presence of our school mates. If we do, they will tease us. Agnes on the other hand said that, the food center is a very quiet place and no disturbance there. It is highly peaceful. Delphine likes carbohydrate type of food and banku is being prepared from cassava tubers. Each of us can pay certain amount of money towards our recess. Sometimes, an amount of (10,000 cedi) ten thousand cedi is paid each. It means that we can have (40,000 cedi) forty thousand cedi can be on hand for our recess. We always used part of the above mentioned amount for our food. Sometimes when the money is collected on time, we can pay it to the owner of the food center. We really use to patronage owner of the business. As a result, she sometimes gave us credit. We have a way of leaving the school premises during recess period to go to the food center without being noticed by our classmates. Immediately the recess bell is ringed, we shake each other hands indicating that we should meet at the food center. The only embarrassing part of the banku is that, after consuming it, we can sweat a lot in class. I used to the banku to the extend that I can still buy it even since I left school.

No comments: